Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Frolic Done! Christmas in August

It has been a long time coming.  Some sewing projects just take longer than others...like, years longer.  Many years.  Eons, maybe.  

But, it's all good.  Because right now, I have a completed project.

Frolic.

I am so happy with it.  The bright, pastels, the, it's a Christmas quilt, but I can keep it hanging through winter because it's really a winter quilt!  Not an elf in sight!

My favorite block.  I love how all the colors work together.  The pinks for the body of the reindeer, and the bright green and red on the ribbon.

The little embroidered touches and the fabric that is fun, not jolly.

I started out needle-turn appliqueing this puppy, but wasn't loving how all the blocks were ending up.

So I switched to iron-on transfer and never looked back.  A sweet little blanket stitch around all the pieces to keep everything secure and I was one happy quilter.  Plus, I kept the needle-turn blocks that I thought were fine. So, this quilt is 1/3 needle turn and 2/3 iron on transfer.  And it's perfect!  You don't even notice the different methods unless you look carefully.

For the many berries, I simply used felt and secured them in place with a sequin.

Felt for the faces too!  Love the ease and simplicity, and as a plus I didn't go insane sewing itty bitty teeny weeny triangles and circles.

For those in the know...can you even imagine needle-turn appliquing this one?  Nuh uh!  No thank you.

And here it is, hanging up in my living room...four inches too long.  But I'll make it work.  Think it goes pretty well with my summer pillows.  I'll show you those in a few days.  I was on a Dresden Plate Kick for a long time and now I'm on to Courthouse Steps!  Lots of fun sewing going on!

Thanks for reading!



Heather

6 comments:

  1. Heather it's gorgeous! You did an amazing job! Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - you did it!!!! Its beautiful hunni - I love it! If you ship it now - I'll have it in time for Christmas lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    Wow, absolutely lovely. You are really talented. My mom and one sister can quilt but it never rubbed off on me. I'm always in awe of a beautiful quilt. Plus, yay you, a completed project:)
    I think my fave is the birdhouse:) Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. This. Is. AWESOME!!!!! I haven't made a quilt in a long time now and you're making me want to drag all my stuff out!!!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. That turned out beautifully. I am really impressed. You certainly are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hurray! This was a long time coming...but so worth the wait! How beautiful Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...