Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Just call her stump

See what happens when you get a fire lit under you, miracles can happen.  My daughter's ami, that has been in the works for...a very long time is getting closer and closer to being done.  It doesn't hurt that my oldest has been haranguing me day and night to finish it.  "is it done yet?"  "mom, are you working on my rabbit?"  "mom, I can see that you are making dinner, cleaning the house and working on world peace...but are you done with my rabbit yet?"

I told her it'd be done by Saturday.  I think it's doable.  Cross fingers.

I decided to give this rabbit a twist by giving her some cute little knee socks.  I think it's going to be adorable.


I wanted to give you a working shot of what it means to work on a fairly involved crochet project like this...it means keeping track of multiple spots, and keeping them separated from each other.  To do this, I like these little crochet clips.  As you can see I am employing 3 at one time.  This is about the max that I use at any given time.  But as I am splitting the torso into two legs, I need to know my boundaries...otherwise you get one leg that's 1" round and another that 2" around vs two that are 1.5" round.  See, nobody wants one fat leg.

Here's another shot of the madness.  So two are keeping track of the leg I am not working on and the 3rd is keeping count of the rounds on the leg I am working on. 

When I am actively crocheting, I am doing it with the ami upside down.  Sometimes this is obnoxious because it feels like it gets in the way, but I guess if I tried to sew it rightside up, it would get quite heavy and flop over any way.   Oh yeah, and I am watching Dancing with the Stars in the background.  Go Maks and Hope!


I decided to give the rabbit rainbow panties...I think they're cute but they have wound up blending in with the flesh. So I am going to have to sew ruffles on or something to give it a little emphasis. I probably should have sewn a row of slip stitches, but as I am making this up partially on my own, I didn't think about it until I had sewn most of a leg...oh well.  I'll figure something out.

 Another Amigurumi book review:

Amigurumi World Seriously Cute Crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli

Okay, this book has many cute things in it, but they are in no way as detailed as "Amigurumi Super Happy Crochet Cute".  This book focuses on tiny critters that can be completed in a few hours.  So, a really good book if you want to bust out some cuties in not too much time.   And there are some seriously cute things in here.

This book was an awesome purchase for me....for this very reason.  She gives instructions on making cute little eggs.  My youngest loves "h-eggs".  I think she was at particularly influential times in her life her first and second  Easters.  She would walk around carrying plastic eggs wherever she went and loved looking at the eggs in the carton and wanted to (and still does) help crack the eggs.  So I was able to make these for her birthday and I cannot tell you how often I have seen her wandering around carrying an egg.  There was a time when she almost wouldn't put them down and wanted to sleep with them.  Due to eggs getting lost in the covers and her waking up distressed in the middle of the night that she couldn't find her h-egg and Mommy having to come in, tear the covers apart to find the eggs to restore calmness, we decided to banish eggs as lovies in bed.  But they are great toys.

Gotta love the chicks too!

Get crocheting friends, it's a great hobby.




1 comment:

  1. I have both of those books! Too many cute things. I also have creepy cute. Ami is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Love ya! XOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...